Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Should A Church Be "Seeker-Sensitive"?

As we begin to establish Journey Community Church, one of the organizational values is going to be "Oriented To Seekers".

That is a question that is up for debate in a lot of church circles. I'm not sure if I like the term sensitive. Although I think that a church should be sensitive to seekers.

One of the challenges often is with the word "seekers". I believe that there are seekers out there. The way I see it happening is that God draws someone to Him. When He places that drawing tug within them...they are seeking what is going on. No one seeks God on their own.

"Sensitive"....I don't like the word. Maybe that is why my wife always tells me I need to be more sensitive. I'm a guy. I played football and got muddy. I didn't cry. I didn't want to be in touch with my sensitive side. Home Improvement with Tim Allen resonated with me.

For me the term "seeker-oriented" would be a lot better term. As we seek to instill the values and principles that will guide our church, one of those principles will be be an orientation towards seekers. This principle should permeate the atmosphere of our Sunday Morning meetings.

The vision of Jesus' life was to seek and save that which was lost. This should be our main priority, to seek and present the Gospel to those who God is drawing.

No comments: