Saturday, December 22, 2007

Journey Through Acts (Acts 21)

Read - Acts 20

My Key Verse - Acts 21:11-13 He went right up to Paul, took Paul’s belt, and, in a dramatic gesture, tied himself up, hands and feet. He said, “This is what the Holy Spirit says: The Jews in Jerusalem are going to tie up the man who owns this belt just like this and hand him over to godless unbelievers.” 12 When we heard that, we and everyone there that day begged Paul not to be stubborn and persist in going to Jerusalem. 13 But Paul wouldn’t budge: “Why all this hysteria? Why do you insist on making a scene and making it even harder for me? You’re looking at this backwards. The issue in Jerusalem is not what they do to me, whether arrest or murder, but what the Master Jesus does through my obedience. Can’t you see that?”

My Reflection - This may be a little out there but it is what went through my mind when I read this.

Most of us would probably agree. If we got a prophecy from God like this, we wouldn't go. Right??? Isn't this what we pray for? God protect us and don't let any harm come to us.

Not Paul, he gets a prophecy and says what's the bid deal. In fact he really has a flip side that I'm not sure any of us realize. He says, "the issue...is...what the Master Jesus does through my obedience", and then asks the question, "Can't you see that?"

Here is where my brain went on this. God is in eternity...there is no time frame with him. In fact, time is something that is irrelevant to Him. He sees the beginning from the end all at one time. Does God actually manipulate our future? He obviously already sees what is going to happen, that's what prophecy is right?

So then this prophecy to Paul actually leads him to go to Jerusalem, it wasn't a warning to go away from it. I don't know if I can get all the words or the picture my brain saw when I read this. I may have to meditate on it a little more.

My Prayer - Lord, help me to learn a little more about you through this event in Paul's life. Help me to understand how it is you work through prophecy and to look at it objectively as Paul did.

No comments: