Sunday, December 9, 2007

Just About Jesus

As I am continuing to filter all that God is pouring into my heart about what Journey Community is to be and represent, some things just seem to be more easy.

Lately I have been reflecting on what our ethos is and should be as an organization. These would be our working values as we set what our work environment is to be about.

Over the years in working on staff and looking at the landscape across the country I have seen an unhealthy environment where everything is about "the pastor".

From, they speak to much from the platform, to how the environment and church are set up to promote them, to how the staff is made to bow down and serve them or else.

Being in these types of environments have driven in me that our church should "Just be about Jesus". Let's get back to the simplicity of things and elevate Him as the Lord. That we are a team striving to serve Jesus. We want to keep our roles in order and realize that this is about Jesus.

I don't want to diminish the role of the Pastor in this. I believe that my role is important in holding JCC to the vision God has laid out for His church in making disciples. I believe that role is to be a guiding force in establishing the teaching of His Word and ensuring that we are saying what He wants to say to the church in the language of our culture. My role is to ensure that the environment is one that is relevant to those whom God is drawing and that we don't get in His way.

BUT in all of that it is going to be about building the Kingdom of God not the kingdom of Jay. I believe there are many pastors who have lost balance of this. That's not to say it is easy or that I won't have to work to keep people's eyes off the pastor. If they are on God and go to Him then JCC will be a church with a healthy spiritual balance.

Let it be JUST ABOUT JESUS.

No comments: